Do you want to transform your backyard? If you’re in the mood for some swimming and exercising, then a swim spa will definitely do the trick. It will take your swimming to the next level and provide you with a practical, clean, and safe environment for you to sit back and relax.
Most importantly, the heated water and jets massages can help with soreness, exhaustion, and stress. For those who want to know more about swim spas and their features, you’ve come to the right place. This is a detailed overview of everything you can expect.
What Is a Swim Spa?
A swim spa is a practical all-year-round spa system that can create a dual-temperature experience. They are quite like modern hot tubs, but with a larger, open concept area. Most people think of it as a hot tub. Since they’re manufactured from tub-making companies and promoted alongside them, it’s easy to get confused.
However, swim spas are more like a smaller lap pool made for fitness enthusiasts. As well as those who want to have a pool but don’t have space in their outdoor space. The average swim spa is about 4.5 meters (180 inches) in length, 2.2 meters (90 inches) in width, and 1.3 meters (55 inches) in depth. The exact size will vary based on the swim spa you select.
You can choose a larger or smaller unit, depending on your yard, budget and personal taste. Overall, you are getting a much more compact solution than an actual swimming pool and a more versatile product than a hot tub. With Jacuzzi Hot Tubs of Calgary, finding the best swim spa for your lifestyle can be an enjoyable and rewarding process.
About the Jacuzzi® Swim Spas Brand
Jacuzzi® Swim Spas is a renowned brand that offers superior quality products made with premium materials, expert designs, and top-of-the-line features. The best part? These swim spas are available to you at reasonable prices, making them a perfect fit for your backyard. With over 60 years of industry experience, you can expect nothing less than the best with the Jacuzzi Brand.
The Benefits of Swim Spas
Many benefits are associated with regular swim spa use. In fact, many claim to enjoy many of the same benefits that they would with a swimming pool or hot tub, but in one compact system.
The benefits can include:
- Muscle relaxation – The combination of warm water and buoyancy with massage from the jets creates a water-based therapeutic technique known as hydrotherapy. The many hydromassage jets target some of the most stress-prone areas of your body to help promote relaxation and physical stress relief.
- Stress relief – Paired with warm water and the massaging action of the jets, swim spas can help with mental, emotional, and physical stress. They can provide the perfect environment for you to unwind and get rid of all that stress.
- Better sleep – Soaking in hot water can help alleviate some of the physical and emotional discomforts, paving the way for restful sleep.
- Muscle recovery – Aquatic therapy combines massage, buoyance, and temperature to boost blood flow and natural endorphin production. This is exactly what the body needs to speed up the rejuvenation system.
If you suffer from aches, discomfort, poor flexibility, and/or stress, soaking in a swim spa can come in handy. You are getting a worthy product that can make you feel happier and stress-free with ease. All you have to do is spend some time in the water and enjoy all the benefits.
Your Swim Spa Installation
Whether you are in the mood for the in-ground or above-ground swim spa, you can install an aesthetically gorgeous and functional product. With Jacuzzi Hot Tubs of Calgary, you can get that and more. The installation of a swim spa can help you create and complete your dream backyard, while providing you with added functionality and versatility.
With a swim spa, you can look forward to:
- Stress relief and relaxation
- Quality time with family
- Entertainment opportunities for guests
- Teaching children how to swim
- Improving your backyard space
- Boosting the value of your home
- Improving your overall health
To top it all off, if you want to add some upgrades, you can also enjoy:
- Patio/deck installation
- Firepit or fire features
- Exterior lighting
- BBQ or outdoor kitchen
Now, that makes for a real showstopper! One of the most awesome features of Jacuzzi® Swim Spas is that you get to use it all year round. With the control panel attached to each product, you can adjust the temperature as you see fit. For example, you can keep it extra warm in winter and a little cooler in summer. This adds an additional layer of convenience during the change in seasons.
What to Consider When Shopping For a Swim Spa
A lot of people are wondering if a swim spa is a good choice. They don’t know if it will go well with their backyard or garden. If you want to get yourself a new swim spa, here are a couple of factors you should consider first.
● The Size of Your Backyard
The available space you have will be a determining factor in the swim spa you buy. Before purchasing a swim spa, consider the layout and design of the backyard. For example, do you have a garden? Do you plan on leaving room for other outdoor activities? How much space do you have left for kids toys?
When dealing with a not-so-spacious backyard, swim spas are the go-to choice. They are easy to fit and quick to install. But, if your children prefer their garden space and bigger playgrounds, then you should opt for a smaller swim spa instead.
● Installation Time
Swim spas can be installed in just a couple of hours. They are ready to use in less than 24 hours. The installation process goes a lot smoother than with pools, making them a popular choice. In-ground pools, for example, can take anywhere from 7 to 21 days. If the weather is bad or you have to wait for a permit, the delay will prolong the installation time. So, if you want something done quicker, then swim spas are the way to go.
● Running Cost
With pools, heating bills, and other expenses constantly keep piling up. Swim spas are different. Because of their small and practical swim tank, swim spas can run their heater and pumps for a very affordable cost. Their built-in insulation makes sure of that. Basically, you will be spending less than 50% on what it would cost you to run an in-ground pool.
● Family Needs
People choose a swim spa because they can swim in it regardless of the season. As a result, the swimming season can last for 12 months, giving the family plenty of opportunities to relax. If your family wants something they can use day-in and day-out, then you can’t go wrong with this one.
Yes, many people are worried about maintenance. The fact is, taking care of a pool can be quite a handful. You will be brushing the surface, adding chemicals, removing leaves and debris, etc. The swim spa is the exact opposite.
Due to the smaller surface, the filtration system is more than capable of handling that problem. It can filter out all those necessities and help keep a clean area. As a result, the maintenance needs are minimal, allowing you to have plenty of free time to sit back and relax.
The Difference Between Swim Spas, Hot Tubs, and Swimming Pools
Between the advanced features and 365 days of use, many Canadians are opting to bring home a swim spa. But, what is it that makes them so different? And which of these differences will make an impact? Swim spas, hot tubs, and pools are completely different products with their own systems. Let’s take a closer look!
They vary based on:
- Size – Swim spas are larger than hot tubs, sometimes triple the size. They both have an inclusive seating area perfect for socializing and resting. But, the swim spa features a bigger tank section meant for recreation and exercise. When compared to swimming pools, swim spas are about a half to a third of the size.
- Features – Although swim spas and hot tubs have a lot in common, like the interior lighting, seating area, and hydrotherapy jets, there are features that set them apart. Such as the high-powered jetting system and a big tank in the swim spa. While pools are only a good place to swim.
- Cost – Swim spas are a little more expensive than hot tubs. But, cheaper than swimming pools. They are that perfect medium.
How Much Do Swim Spas Cost?
It is difficult to determine the exact price. When you plan on purchasing a swim spa, take a look at their tier. Their prices are determined by the tier you select. For example, you have the:
- Basic Tier ($16,000-20,000)
- Standard Tier ($20,000-25,000)
- Premium Tier ($25,000-35,000)
- Luxury Tier ($35,000+)
As you can see, the higher the tier, the bigger the price. Of course, with higher tiers, you get exactly what you pay for. These are bigger investments and worth the effort. With a cheaper model, you can get many years of use, but, you will be spending on repairs and maintenance.
When you pay a little extra, you are purchasing from a renowned brand that provides you with excellent quality and promised longevity. So, you won’t have to worry about the power bill too much. That’s exactly what makes this product hard to miss.
1. What Types Of Exercises Can You Do In Swim Spas?
Homeowners choose swim spas for many different reasons. They are mainly chosen for their aquatic therapy capabilities, along with exercise options and a new way to spend time with family. The water provides easy movement, reduces discomfort and pain, giving the body a temporary source of relief. Are you planning to use your swim spa for exercise? Here are some exercises you can engage in:
- Cardiovascular exercises, such as swimming laps, walking, jogging, or jumping jacks
- Abdominal exercises, such as reverse crunches and torso twists
- Leg exercises, such as squats, lunges, and leg lifts
- Arm exercises, such as wall push-ups, swimming laps, or bicep curls with water weights
- Dynamic stretches, such as yoga.
2. Is There Enough Space to Swim?
The bigger the swim spa, the more swimming space you’ll have. But, regardless of the model you select, you can have someplace to swim. The swim spa is designed to have the perfect depth and length. This is to provide customers with a functional and comfortable experience. The high-powered jet at the far end of the open-concept tank can be engaged to create a current of water that’s strong enough for you to walk, jog or swim against. With help from this feature, you can swim for as long as you please and at a rate that is perfect for you.
3. Are Swim Spas Expensive in Comparison to Other Options?
Swim spas are a lot more affordable than traditional swimming pools. They also come pre-wired, pre-plumbed, and ready to use. That’s why it is super easy to install and fill it in with water. Once you purchase it, you will have a swim spa ready in no time.
4. What’s the Best Place to Install a Swim Spa?
Outdoor spaces are usually the most popular choice. They provide you with a comfortable environment and won’t take too much of your living space.
5. What Kind of Maintenance Should You Expect?
Lucky for you, swim spa maintenance is minimal! You can expect weekly maintenance taking no more than 30-60 minutes, consisting of testing the water and balancing as needed. You should aim to change the water in your swim spa every three to four months, based on the frequency of use. To be safe, it’s optimal to book professional spa service from time to time, or on a regular basis.
Shop for Swim Spas in California Today
Did you find this swim spa buying guide helpful? To find out more about lifestyle and health tips, check out our blog and online resource center. At Jacuzzi Hot Tubs of Calgary, our experts are available 24/7 if you need any help. We also have a packed owner resources section and additional frequently asked questions. If you want to add a new hot tub or swim spa to your backyard, contact our experts. Feel free to brainstorm unique ideas to add to your backyard living space.